Thursday, July 28, 2011

pleased to meet you:


fun facts:

His father was a women's shoe designer and his mother, a seamstress.

He earned a scholarship to the Parsons School of Design in NYC.

In 1940, he became Columbia Records first art director. It was there that he introduced posters and cover art for the protective record sleeve.

Because of this new idea, record sales increased eightfold in mere months.

He made album art from 1939-1973, estimating a total of 2,500 works of art!

"I love music so much and I had such ambition that I was willing to go way beyond what the hell they paid me for. I wanted people to look at the artwork and hear the music." -Alex Steinweiss

2 comments:

Sally said...

Oh how cool! I love vintage record covers and his are awesome.

Anna said...

we do too! they're pretty awesome. :)